Director of Development
Salary/Wages To be discussed in interview process.
Type: Full Time
Location: Halifax Christian Academy (Halifax)
Closing Date: 2023-11-30 9:00AM
Halifax Christian Academy (HCA) seeks a Director of Development to help take our school to new heights. HCA nurtures young minds and increases the faith of children as young as 18 months old through to grade 12 via two campuses located in the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM). HCA currently impacts 270 students in three divisions: Elementary (pre-primary - grade 6), Middle (7-8) and Secondary (9-12) as well as 30+ children in Early Childhood Education.
Halifax is the largest city in Atlantic Canada and is the second fastest-growing city in Canada. That growth, coupled with the increasing demand for Christian education among families, has HCA experiencing unprecedented enrollment growth. There is sufficient demand for Christian education in the HRM for a school facility to house 500+ students. HCA's current buildings cannot house this enrollment growth, so we are seeking God's guidance to acquire a larger building.
These are exciting times at HCA, but as with any growth, there are new challenges; thus, we are praying for God's provision of an excellent new ministry leader that will help progress our vision and mission as a blessing to our students, families and staff.
Therefore, HCA is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Director of Development to lead our fundraising, marketing, and volunteer management efforts. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy to support the school's mission and strategic goals. The Director of Development will work collaboratively with the Executive Director, Principal, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders to achieve fundraising targets.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive development plan focused on annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, and special events
- Setting and managing ambitious annual fundraising goals and tracking progress to adjust outreach efforts accordingly
- Developing and maintaining relationships with donors and prospects to secure gifts and sponsorships
- Providing leadership and direction to the fundraising, marketing, volunteer management staff and/or volunteers
- Acting as the primary contact person for external vendors supporting advancement efforts - Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders to identify fundraising priorities and develop strategies to meet them
- Overseeing the maintenance of accurate records to measure progress and effectiveness - Leading fundraising campaigns tied to cultural focus points such as Back to School, Giving Tuesday, and Year-End Giving
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a marketing strategy to raise the school's profile and promote its programs and services
- Overseeing the development and implementation a volunteer management strategy to engage volunteers in fundraising and other activities
- Keeping up-to-date records of current donor trends and opportunities
- Managing the budget and reporting on progress and requirements
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards related to fundraising and marketing
- Monitoring and reporting fundraising, marketing, and volunteer management activities and results to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders
- Involvement in a local Christian church
- Experience with school-wide organizing and planning
- Demonstrates administrative experience
- Demonstrates educational leadership and vision
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Business, Communication, or a related field and/or at least 5 years experience in fundraising efforts across major gifts, mid-tier, and lower-tier donor segments
- Demonstrated track record of success in identifying, building, and nurturing relationships with donors, as well as experience in securing funds from private foundations and individual donors - Experience in executing capital campaigns and strategic funding initiatives requiring multi-year donor commitments
- Experience with and an understanding of a private Christian school
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze data, identify trends, and make strategic recommendations
- Competent and comfortable taking on a leadership role
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Experience with Donor Software and spreadsheets
- Empathetic, sociable, charismatic, a problem solver and visionary, exhibits a servant heart - Knowledge of the Christian faith and commitment to the mission of the school
How to apply
Please send Resume, Statement of Current Knowledge of Independent Christian Education and a Pastoral Reference by Friday, May 12, 2023 to:
Dr. A. J. Penney, Executive Director
Halifax Christian Academy114 Downs Avenue, Halifax, NS, B3N 1Y6
Phone: 902.475.1441 Fax: 902.475.1441